Thursday, June 19, 2014

11 - Poverty

                                       POVERTY
   
                              (POVERTY IN GENERAL)

To be poor is to be without, it is lacking and it is being in need (compared to others). When others have more than enough, some people are lacking essentials. There is nothing wrong with you because sometimes a thin line exist between success and poverty. It may be bad luck or an unfortunate situation that separates you from others. It is not a lack of character, or a lack of strong work ethics that introduces a very sick person into poverty. The situation that an uneducated person working two job for little money is in or a mentally ill person that is homeless is in is not the result of their lack any social responsibility; but instead, it shows a lack of social responsibility from those that we do not help. If we cannot empathize or relate to the unfortunate; then I question our ability to truly love others?

You know that charity is another word for love. Charity is a personal responsibility but it is also a social responsibility. Collectively Christians have come together to create the success of charity organizations. Our humanity demands that we help the poor, the sick, the disabled, the needy and the elderly. Collectively and individually we love others and help one another - it should not be a dog eat dog world. In order to be a God fearing people, we should not exclude God's wishes (like MT 25:31-46). This is our salvation as individuals and as Christians. We do not follow a gospel of prosperity that states God loves only the successful; but we follow a gospel of love and sacrifice that desires to identify with the poor. The poor are in need of God, they are humble, they sacrifice, they find joy in the simplicity of life, and they cannot afford to exploit others when so much of their time is spent on basic survival.

There are several forms of poverty: physical, financial, mental, spiritual and moral poverty. Also there is a poverty of health, a poverty of status, a poverty of self-worth and a poverty of knowledge. No matter what the cause may be, many of us experience poverty in one way or another. We should not be islands isolated from one another; because we are socially interconnected through love and concern. The bigger the gap between people of "Plenty" and people of "Little" - the more unjust we become as a society. Sometimes, to have plenty means an increase of moral and spiritual poverty within us. We can (if we work at it) take the negative aspects of poverty and transform them within ourselves to do good for others.      D. Ctone                        





   (MY SPIRITUAL POVERTY TRANSFORMATION TESTIMONY)

Because of my spiritual poverty, I now have a great desire for God to enter my life and my soul. Can I empty myself of any excessive ego so I can fill myself up with a gigantic and great need for God? Yes!

My spiritual need (my spiritual poverty transformation) is a desire for God’s riches within my heart (not worldly riches like wanting excessive or wasteful processions or desiring a lot of money or power or influence to build up my ego only). There is nothing wrong with having wealth but it should not be my life's purpose or ambition to crave more or to make my wealth or power my life’s identity. My love for God is my identity. My spiritual poverty transformation can give me hope (being an example of eternal life with joy and confidence through Christ). My spiritual poverty transformation can be living through Jesus’ Great Commandment (to love God & others with all my heart, soul, mind and strength). My spiritual poverty transformation can mold my faith (baring my cross as Christ did and with Christ).

My spiritual poverty transformation can be personal energy that builds love around me (not personal selfishness that destroys genuine relationships with distrust). My spiritual poverty transformation can allow me to always be the first person to forgive (showing compassion and understanding by not judging the feelings behind the actions of others). My spiritual poverty transformation can be discovering a poorness towards any self-interest that desires to build up my ego (instead with this spiritual poverty transformation I can encourage others - be a Christian servant for others, I can see beyond worldly situations, I can try to live in the spiritual, and I can try to find God’s movement in the lives of all the people around me). My spiritual poverty transformation can be loving people on their level (not on my personal level). I love others despite of their faults or short comings that lead them to sin for I also have faults that lead me to sin. My spiritual poverty transformation is soul nourishing for me and for others around me.

 For me, spiritual poverty transformation can be expressing my faith through service to others. I help to create a heaven here on earth. I want a spiritual poverty transformation that is simple living with honesty towards myself and others. When I think about it, I want a spiritual poverty transformation that is balancing my wants and my needs. Satisfying too many wants can complicate my world and separate me from God and my love ones.

 I do not think I am unusual, I see the best Lay Servants within my church as having humble but joyful spiritual attitudes as they help out. I am so thankful for them and I wish to follow in the footsteps of Christ (as they do).                                                                                     D. Crone



QUESTIONS:

1 How much poverty is in your attitude towards life and God?

2 Is this poverty attitude humility?

3 What types of poverty can you best relate to: with physical, financial, mental, moral or spiritual poverty?

4 What do you do about your poverty and poverty in general?

5 Are you in great need of God? Why or Why not?

6 What in your life can prevent a great need for God's love and mercy?




No comments:

Post a Comment